Monday, October 30, 2006

Loehmann's - Questionable

I've mentioned Loehmann's a few times already, but I haven't yet provided my insights into the discount department store located in the old Barneys spot on 7th Ave., mainly because my mother told me, "if you don't have something nice to say, come sit next to me." OK, I actually stole that line from Olympia Dukakis in Steel Magnolias...and now that I've rendered myself completely uncool, let me continue.

Loehmann's is fantastic in theory. The ground level floor offers an accessories/jewelry section, a handbag department and a shoe boutique. One of the upper floors offers a huge selection of European and other ecclectic designers. They have some cool styles and interesting brands, and I have bought a few things there over the years, including the pictured Stella Forest sweater, which is nice, but wasn't that cheap.

That's IT! I don't think that the prices are low enough. I was shocked by the 'tag on some leather gloves the other day. $50? Thanks, I'll go to Old Navy or Daffy's. I also have a really hard time finding anything that actually fits me.

They do offer a shopping card through which you can earn points and get special coupons for additional discounts, but somehow I rarely come out feeling like I won. I want to win!

In fairness, when dealing with these kinds of discount department-type stores, you do have to accept that sometimes you score BIG, and other times you come up empty-handed. However, I shall still stand by my gut (unfortunately it's always standing by me), and implore the good people of Loehmann's to impress us with a new pricing strategy.

No comments: