Monday, January 26, 2009

Economy Got You Down? Consign THIS!

Whether or not your finances have been impacted by this plummeting economy, now is a great time to get rid of the goods in your closet and home, and make some money while you're at it. I have begun to do this during the last year or so, and while I have not gotten rich, it has given me a sense of pride, as though I am building my cred as an independent business woman. A "wee"bay, if you will.

And a funny thing happens - the stuff you think nobody would ever buy, goes in a blink, while the stuff you are sure that people will be dying for is e-ignored. Examples - I have been trying to get rid of a chair for a year to no avail, but my speaker stands and 18-year-old Nakamichi stereo receiver got snapped up in less than 3 days after posting them on craigslist.

And, on the flip side, if you are relatively broke and in need of some new items, shopping this way is not a bad way to go. Especially if you are in dire need of couture.

For example, La Boutique Resale with its three NYC locations (one UWS, two UES) is both a great place to GIVE (i.e. consign) your gently used top designer fashions and BUY such items - and right now during their winter sale you can score such duds at up to 70 percent off (through March 15).

Plus, if you have a postcard from them like I do, you can get additional 10 percent of your total purchase. I have gotten a few things here this way, even I give into Fendi, Escada and Dior from time to time...

No comments: