Sunday, January 03, 2010

Free Personal Training/Workouts for the New Year!

During the past two years I have undoubtedly enjoyed the magnificent food and drink that New York has to offer -- certainly more than during any other period of my life.  And it has been a joyful experience.  But with every action comes a reaction, such as unfortunate and continual weight gain.  As my food intake increased, my health and fitness has decreased.  I do work out two times a week (boxing, mostly), but my body has gotten too used to my regimen.  I need to change it up and add to it - time & intensity - while decreasing my regular rendezvous with ice cream and cupcakes.

I am still mourning the loss of my footloose, fancy-free lifestyle.  And working out, well it HURTS.  Almost as much as denying myself cupcakes.

However, and especially during this time of year, gyms are offering special workout programs FOR FREE.  Indeed, they are attempting to get you to eventually commit and PAY.  But I have spent the last week trying out three new workouts at two different gyms without spending a cent.

To be clear, I do already belong to Equinox, for which I pay $128 a month.  However, I managed to get an hour-long personal training Pilates session (on the reformer and other machines) at the 33rd and Park Ave. gym, as well as a one-on-one 30-minute circuit training introduction at the 19th and Broadway location. 

Additionally, a family friend directed me to The Black Box on W. 25th St., which is the CrossFit outpost in NYC.  Hearing about the insane puke-enducing workouts that CrossFit is known for, I was more than a little tentative about checking it out, however I discovered online that they offer a few free "beginners" classes a week to help you see what it's all about.  So I went to one of those this morning.  And while I didn't barf, it was not for the faint of heart.

No comments: