Saturday, December 29, 2007

ABC Carpet: No More "Running" Around

I have so much stuff to buy for my new-old apartment to make it the rent stabilized palace that it deserves to be. I heard that ABC Carpet was having a sale, so I headed on over the other day to find that I was mostly overwhelmed by the volume of stuff, and a little bit hesitant about the prices. Especially when I started looking at long rugs - or "runners" - for my hallway that cost $699! Yikes! So I trotted across Broadway to the ABC Carpet rugs/carpets-only store and descended to the basement where they have all kinds of discounted odds and ends of the rug variety. And still I couldn't find anything that I liked or that didn't cost hundreds of dollars.

"My man," I said to the salesman. "I am not feeling these prices." Realizing that I was not going to be a big-ticket customer, he pointed me to a small pile of runners and suggested I might find something there.

And then I did.

This perfect-I-couldn't-have-come-up-with-a-better-runner was near the top of the pile and on sale from $99 to $49!

Moral: There's always a pile of cheap rugs in the back.

Stay tuned for more never-ending tales of housewares trials and triumphs.

GSNYC

No comments: