Wednesday, November 18, 2009

OYE Bathing Suits





I just realized that in the 3+ years I have been writing this blog, I rarely write about the most feared apparel item known to womankind: the BATHING SUIT. AHHHHHhhhhh!

But I am brave. I went to view new suits from OYE (Open Your Eyes), the Turkish-based collection of hand-crafted swimsuits designed by twin sisters Ayca and Zeynep Sadikoglu.

OK, so good news or bad news first? Let's get the bad news out of the way:
  • Currently, they are only available at Breeze in Brooklyn (I think we're talking Avenue U, like heading toward Coney Island).
  • They cost between $300-400 each.
  • They come in sizes XS-L. Except it was explained that a Large is approximately size 6 or 8. Not exactly "large" in most parts of the ol' US of A.
So now let's focus on the good news:
  • They are truly unique and come in a wide range of styles.

  • They come in beautiful colors and no unflattering prints. They do, however, create interesting patterns by overlapping contrasting colors in their designs.
  • A few suits can be worn in more than one way - like getting 2 or more suits for the price of one.

  • They are pretty "girly," but in a sophisticated way. Some of them are adorned with jewels and come with earrings to match! But again, nice, not trashy.

I suspect that they will soon expand their retail reach beyond Avenue U. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be some strong interest in this line.

I picked the photos above based on styles that I would consider to be more wearable for most women. Granted, you still have to be pretty g.d. hot, but you might be able to pull them off even with a few extra ounces sitting on your bones.

You will also be able to peruse and buy OYE suits (starting in January 2010) at couturecandy.com, famousfashionsfound.com, verypoolish.com and peepingt.co.uk.

No comments: