Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Pinkberry

OK, so I read a little bit about Pinkberry - the frozen yogurt-esque joint at 7 W. 32nd St. and decided I had better check it out for myself.

Basically, it is a great marketing concept. I'm not exactly sure what I mean by that, but they offer only 2-3 flavors of their frozen delights, with fruit and other interesting toppings, and then charge you an arm and a leg for it. And you buy it and eat it and wonder "was that good?" But since it all started in LA, this all kind of makes sense.

There is something very "Tuscan frozen yogurt" about the taste - remember? Buddy Hackett as the commercial spokesperson? Oh jeez, I am so tragically dating myself.

Anyway, for me - and here I go again dating myself - the experience brought me back to 1988 when I went to see Depeche Mode at MSG with a crew of Korean guys who were in my high school class at the time. We went to 32nd St. to eat Korean food (for those who don't know, this area is pretty much all Korean) and then go be alternative new wave rockers. I think I still have the "Music For the Masses" T-shirt somewhere.

Which also makes me think about how well-dressed these guys were. They all wore Girbaud clothes and long overcoats. Girbaud at the time were all about baggy cotton trousers with very narrow - and in many cases, "snappable" - ankles.

Pinkberry Kisses,
GSNYC

No comments: