Sunday, April 08, 2007

Chelsea Market: Cupcakes


So what better way to top off a personal training session at Equinox than by eating a cupcake! I'm not sure when cupcakes replaced crack, but I know that I can't get enough of these things, which is why you probably can't find one in this town for less than $2.
Anyway, I headed to the Chelsea Market where I knew I would find a grand selection of pastel-colored cakes-in-a-cup all dressed up and ready for Easter at Eleni's (see big photo). I managed to limit myself to one small $2 vanilla cupcake piled high with pastel yellow frosting and hot pink sprinkles. I snapped a quick shot of the counter displaying endless selections including $7 cookies(!), before they started yelling at people for taking photos. Timing is everything.
Upon exiting I noticed another bakery called Ruthy's just two doors down. While I was happy with the selection I made at Eleni's, I couldn't help but be a bit awed by the giant "flowers of frosting" (see smaller photo) atop the cupcakes in Ruthy's display case. A quarter more expensive than what I bought, true, but I think I may have to stop in there soon so that I can make a thorough journalistic evaluation.
Happy Easter!

1 comment:

If shopping were a class, I'd get straight As said...

I love your cupcake piece. My favorite bakery is Billy's on 19th in Chelsea--the cupcakes there are incredible. I didn't see any contact information for the author of this blog. I am the Editor in Chief of Spree New York and would like to talk to the author about her blog and being featured on spree. Please email me at lindsay@spreenewyork.com for more information. Thanks! Linds