Sunday, October 01, 2006
DEBUTING TODAY: Guerilla Shopper NYC
For decades I have been keeping my shopping techniques secret. People always ask me, "where did you get that!?" I rarely gave a straight answer because my wardrobe is my signature and I didn't want others to encroach upon my style. But now I'm older, wiser, and more willing to share (this coming from an only child). So you're in luck...the timing is right!
While I make a decent living, I am not independently wealthy by any means. I grew up in a very middle class way (in the 70s and 80s, before 12 year olds got weekly manicures) as the child of midwestern parents, so I'm fairly low key and down to earth. However, my shopping technique has allowed me to own closets and closets full of great pants, shirts, skirts, sweaters, suits, dresses, shoes, boots...without being in any debt...EVER.
Some general tips that have afforded me this fun fashion-filled life include:
- Don't be a label "ho." I know generally which brands are cool and quality, but I don't seek "brands" per se. I have never owned anything Gucci, Prada, or Armani, for example.
- Accessories take a back seat. RECYCLE them! I have lots of belts, bags, and jewelry, but I've had many of them for decades, literally, and have "inherited" many others from family members and friends. Bottom line is I just don't like "purses" that much. Even the word annoys me.
- When you buy something new, get rid of something old. OK, I've been a little bit negligent on this point recently myself, but at least do a major closet purge 2x a year. And make sure that you give your cast-offs to Good Will, the local church, etc. OR plan a clothing swap with friends and share the wealth! I have gotten some great stuff this way - FOR FREE!
- Don't buy it if you don't love it. Otherwise you will be wasting your hard-earned money on garments that don't make you feel great. You need to feel great...everyday - it will make the rest of your life better. I promise.
- Spend money on your hair. "Huh?" you might ask...Again, I promise you. Having great hair will make you feel great AND it will make your clothing look more expensive.