Monday, October 23, 2006

Furniture Part III: Room and Board

About a year ago I decided that it was high time to upgrade my bedroom furniture, most of which were hand-me-downs from a neighbor when I was in SEVENTH GRADE.

So after it was confirmed with the experts that the "junior furniture" look was OUT, I started searching high and low for the perfect replacements - dressers, chests, wardrobes, and the like. Well, I am somewhat sad to report that I am still on the hunt, but I did track down one fantastic piece: a dresser from Room and Board (105 Wooster St.) with an inlay design on each drawer (see photo) from their Clearance Center for HALF price! I believe it was regularly $1,500 and I got it for around $750. It's so great that when a friend of mine recently visited my apartment she audibly gasped and proclaimed it "one of the nicest pieces of furniture" she had ever seen. This from a chick who just bought a house and is refurbishing and redoing each room - so she knows what's out there these days.

Frustratingly, I haven't yet been able to find a sister piece that would allow me to ditch the rest of my junior furniture set. I am usually attracted to the wood/antique/distressed looking genre - not anything too modern. It's a tough one. I sometimes make guilty pleasure visits to Stickley Audi on 5th Avenue between 20th-21st St., but haven't yet been able to justify the expense! Great stuff though...

No comments: