Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Donald J. Pliner - Good shoes, but needs my help

I discovered Donald J. Pliner (DJP) in the early 90s at an outlet in Seacaucus, NJ. By the late 90s, my devotion was cemented at Lord & Taylor when I laid my eyes upon a pair of black leather boots that I was sure had been made expressly for me (see photo, right side). I have considered donating them to Good Will many times, but have not been able to part with them. I get them refurbished every so often, but there's only so much you can do!

I have since purchased a pair of DJP stretchy crepe boots with a silver plate at the heel (see photo, left side), and a pair of black leather sandals for my mother. They look and feel great. That, I cannot deny. However, I have two issues:

1. I am pretty sure that the prices have been jacked up, surpassing inflation, in recent years. This is probably due to growing the brand's popularity, which is understandable from a business point-of-view. However, as a result, they have lost The Guerilla Shopper as a regular customer. I recently saw a potential DJP replacement for my beloved favorite boots, but they cost well over $300...so I just couldn't do it.

2. I have been finding it increasingly difficult to find styles that are "fashion-forward." There's no doubt that the shoes are well-made, high quality and tasteful. But I'm missing that edge that I need. I need to feel like a sexy bad ass goddess with class. Only then can I consider making a purchase of relative monetary value. So sue me (well, don't, actually, I obviously couldn't afford such action).

So I'm on the fence on DJP, but not ready to throw in the towel yet. I still get a rush when I see that a store carries the brand, so there is hope.

No comments: