Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Furniture Part IV: ABC Carpet is Dreamy

I am going to crack open my anti-retail armor for you and admit how much I love ABC Carpet & Home: I love it infinity.

If I had countless dollars and no financial conscience, I would probably adorn my whole apartment with goods from this festival of furniture on Broadway near Union Square. Have you been? GO! The first floor is a wonderland of lamps, chandeliers, jewelry, pillows...as if you stumbled upon some Sultan's palace. It continues to awe and inspire for several more floors. You have to see it to believe it.

Over the years I have managed to purchase the mini-tiffany lamp pictured above, two carpets (my dad bought one), and bedding, which I somehow inherited from my parents as well. So in fact I haven't really managed to purchase much on my own. But I digress...

Back when I was seeking a new couch, I visited the Broadway location and spied the most beautifully outrageous piece of sittery that I have ever laid my eyes on. It was too good for even Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra. Perhaps if it had been motorized, enabling me to cruise it around town, I might have considered it, but a $10,000 couch that merely remains stationary just didn't provide enough of a selling point for me to cash in my entire life's savings.

NOTE: There are two nearby outlets: one in the Bronx and the other in Hackensack, NJ. I have been to neither, but my parents have. I suspect this is where my bedding came from. The cushion falls not far from the chair.

No comments: