Monday, January 01, 2007

Clothing Makes the Woman: A New Year's Tale

My Upper East Side stringer is on fire this weekend. A mini manifesto for '07?...

I have become much more interested in fashion. Keep in mind that growing up in the desert, the defacto uniform was shorts (jeans in the winter), flip flops and a tee shirt. When I was young, I thought fashion was a joke. Yes, I was cynical even then. I've slowly come around to believe that fashion can change your life. It changes how you feel about yourself, how others perceive you, how you get treated by others, and if you get that job or boyfriend that you want. And it can be a lot of fun.

I find the things that I remember most are 1) what I wore and 2) what I ate. I remember the strawberry cake I had for my 8th birthday, and I remember the $50 Wolford tights I wore on my 30th birthday. And those are really the best memories.

I saw this little old lady walking in my 'hood the other day. She had on these beige shoes, a fabulous green coat and a green print scarf around her head. She looked fierce, and I love anyone who puts some thought into their look, especially at that age. It shows that you've got some fight. And a well-dressed man makes me swoon.

I've been meaning to get this book for a while. It occured to me that you might like it. http://www.amazon.com/Love-Loss-What-I-Wore/dp/1565121112/sr=1-1/qid=1167683038/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7538309-1225509?ie=UTF8&s=books

No comments: