Thursday, January 11, 2007

Union Square: Growing Shopping Oasis

Ah yes, Union Square as photographed by me from inside DSW. What used to be a marginal wasteland dotted with a few good restaurants is now feeling comfortable in its new retail skin. Barnes & Noble, Sephora, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's (nearby), Virgin, DSW, Filene's Basement, Diesel, Puma, Shoe Mania...the list goes on. And situated between 5th Avenue and the East Village, you really can't go wrong by taking one of the many trains that empties into the Square for hours of shopping until you are dropping.

Granted, the turning of New York City into a big huge giant-ass mall hasn't really thrilled me during the last several years that I've seen it happening. But if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. What choice do we have if we continue to choose to live in this teflon town where money continues to pour in no matter what happens? It's quite awesome, in the sense that it instills awe.

I will surely be driven out of dodge in the near future as there is no way that a barely middle class lass such as myself can continue to afford the spiraling prices of...everything... That is, unless I find myself a sugar daddy. Perhaps I should start wearing that Banana Republic outfit my mother bought me (see post from a few days ago) after all.

No comments: